1969 Rover P5B Saloon
Model: P5B Saloon
Registration Number: BHY 133H
Chassis Number: B40047150
Engine Number: B400 9267C
Steering: Right Hand Drive
MOT Test Expiry: 22 October 2014
Sold For: £7260
Auction Date: 5 December 2013
Lot No: 235
Arriving in 1967, the P5B was the final incarnation of the P5 series, which first appeared in 1958. It was powered by a gutsy 3 ½ litre V8 engine originating from Buick, hence the ‘B’ designation. Exterior developments for the model included striking integral fog lamps and chrome Rostyle wheels, and the interior boasted all the refinements that one expected from a Rover. The P5, and in particular the P5B, was favoured by civil servants, Prime Ministers and even the Queen, and was a huge success for Rover until production ceased in 1973.
This example has had few owners. The first was a lady jeweller in Bath until 1991, followed by her secretary for one year. After two subsequent custodians, the present purchased the motor car in 1993 and has cherished it ever since. BHY 133H is described as excellent or very good in most departments. The bodywork is exceptional for its age, having been well cared for throughout its life. The interior’s leather upholstery is near perfect, as is the headlining, carpets, dashboard and wood cappings, most of which is original. The brightwork is in good order, with only some light pitting to the bumpers in places.
The engine has been maintained by Sigma Engineering and the mechanics are as good as one would expect of a P5B. The new tyres have only done a small mileage since fitting.
The history file contains documentation, some old MOT test certificates, the V5C registration certificate, the original handbook and tax disc holder. The tool kit is present.