1956 MG ZA Magnette
Model: ZA Magnette
Registration Number: USJ 389
Chassis Number: KAJ13/13084
Engine Number: BP15GA/13015
MOT Test Expiry: 12 October 2014 / Exempt
Sold For: £5280
Auction Date: 5 December 2013
Lot No: 238
Launched at the London Motor Show in the autumn of 1953, MG’s first monocoque design the MG ZA Magnette was in production for only three years until replaced by the ZB in1956. It used the then new four cylinder 1.5 litre B series engine, with twin SU carburettors, which developed 60 bhp, coupled to a four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios. The model incorporated independent front suspension, with a live rear axle supported by half elliptic leaf springs, and hydraulically operated drum brakes all round. Internally, there were leather covered seats and polished wood dashboard and door cappings. Around 18,000 were produced in total.
On offer here is a very sound example from the last year of production. The bodywork is described by the vendor as very good, having had the benefit of some recent restoration work and a respray. The chrome work is good. Internally, the car benefits from new headlining, but the original leather seats and wood veneered dashboard and door cappings appear to have lasted well. There is however an intermittent fault with the fuel gauge that will need to be attended to. Mechanically, this motor car is understood to be in good to very good condition. The front brakes have recently been converted from drums to discs using new MGA components. New radial tyres are fitted all round.
The accompanying history file includes the V5C registration certificate, an original factory workshop manual, copies of road tests cut from contemporary magazines, previous MOT test certificates dating back to 1987, plus some photographs of, and sundry invoices for work recently performed.