1961 MG A 1600 Mk II Roadster
Model: A 1600 Mk II Roadster
Registration Number: 877 YUX
Chassis Number: GHN L2/105581
Engine Number: 16GE-U-H 5188
Steering: Right Hand Drive
Colour: Old English White
MOT Test Expiry: Exempt
Road Tax Exempt
The MGA followed on from the MGTF and was produced from 1955 to 1962. The styling represented a complete breakaway from the earlier sports cars with lovely flowing lines and a neat two seater cockpit. To improve on the T series high driving position, the MGA had a new chassis designed with wider side members and a floor attached to the bottom of the frame sections. The straight four, BMC B series engine allowed for a lower bonnet line and drove through a 4 speed manual gearbox. Suspension was independent coil and wishbones at the front and a rigid back axle with semi-elliptic springs at rear. Rack and pinion steering gave light and positive handling.
In May 1959 the engine was increased to 1588cc and disc brakes fitted to the front. Small external modifications to U.K. cars included amber turn front indicators shared with white side lamps, separate stop/tail and indicator lamps at rear and 1600 badging on the boot and the cowl. Motor magazine tested a 1600 in 1959, recording a top speed of 96.1mph, a 0-60 time of 13.3 secs and fuel consumption of 29.7mpg.
The engine was increased again in 1961 for the Mk2 to 1622cc. the cylinder head was revised to produce 90 bhp and a higher 4;1 ratio rear axle was fitted. An inset radiator grille, centre lock disc wheels and rear lights mounted horizontally were the visual changes to the model. Top speed was increased on test to 105mph and 0-60 in 12.8 secs.
Photographs on file together with numerous invoices, point to a major chassis up restoration and conversion from left hand drive having been carried out on the MG at considerable expense about ten years ago, although some cosmetic work may be required. The aforesaid restoration included the fitting of an all-new interior with de-luxe red leather seats, new weather equipment (a mohair hood, side screens and tonneau); the engine, gearbox and rear axle were rebuilt and a new radiator was also fitted at that time. The motor car is equipped with an oil cooler, a stainless steel exhaust system, tripod headlamps and a badge bar. The new De Luxe - type Dunlop alloy road wheels are fitted with new Bridgestone B391 185/65 R 15 tyres.
The motor car comes with a V5C registration certificate and the large file of invoices and photographs as mentioned, together with a handbook and a BMIHT certificate.