1951 Cyclemaster 25.7cc
Registration Number: ETK 271
Engine Number: 39938
Sold For: £400
The Cyclemaster first appeared in the UK in 1950. The motorised wheel was based on a German design dating back to before the Second World War, and it quickly became hugely popular in post-war, cash strapped Britain. Initially 25.7cc, the Cyclemaster’s capacity was increased to 32cc in 1952, by which time some sixty-five thousand units had been sold to the great British public. However, by the late Fifties, interest in the useful machines had waned, possibly because of the arrival of the more modern, economical alternative mopeds, scooters and motorcycles.
This 1951 example was purchased by the vendor’s father in April 1954 and used as daily transportation to and from Vickers Armstrong at Hurn Airport (now Bournemouth Airport). It was last used in the late Fifties and has been carefully stored ever since.
Supplied with the Cyclemaster is its original number plate, a rare and genuine plug spanner, a road tax holder with a 1957 tax disc, the rear lamp, a flywheel puller, three spare wheel spokes, a chain, the original instruction book, the RF60 registration book, the V5C registration certificate and a letter dated 14 January 1952 from Cyclemaster Limited of London, detailing the 150 miles service and decarbonising instructions.
A rare and interesting restoration project and certainly a talking point.