1950 Rover P4 75 'Cyclops' Saloon
Model: P4 75 'Cyclops' Saloon
Registration Number: LOD 675
Chassis Number: 04302329
Engine Number: 04302350
Steering: Right Hand Drive
MOT Test Expiry: Exempt
Sold For: £2860
Lot No: 196
The Rover P4 series of motor cars, with their relatively quiet engines, softly sprung suspension, and interiors reminiscent of a gentleman’s club, provide a throwback to a more genteel age. The P4 75 was the first of the breed introduced in 1949. The car’s styling was very modern for the time, and early versions incorporated a centrally mounted driving lamp in the radiator grill, which gave rise to the ‘Cyclops’ nickname. Power was provided by a 2.1 litre straight 6 engine, coupled to a four speed manual transmission with column mounted gear lever. In all, just over 33,000 of these vehicles were produced before they were replaced by the P4 75 Mk II in 1954.
The motor car on offer here today is a fairly early example, which has been in the current ownership for the past 43 years, and has had only four owners from new. The vendor describes the bodywork as good, and it has benefitted at some time in the past from a respray. The interior is original, but showing some wear, which is only to be expected for a car of this age. Mechanically we understand this vehicle to be in very good condition, with everything working as it should.
Accompanying the vehicle is a V5C registration certificate and an extensive history file which includes the original RF60 registration book with ownership history, some previous MOT test certificates, a number of original instruction manuals for both the motor car and wireless, and sundry invoices for maintenance and restoration work performed.